Share This Page
Conservancy Nature Center
Learning Adventures Field Trips
K-12 Field Trip programs at the newly renovated Conservancy of Southwest Florida Nature Center last up to three hours and include new possibilities!
Possible options include encounters with over 100 native animals and new exhibits in the Dalton Discovery Center. The Ferguson Leaning Lab features the latest technology to engage your students in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) activities! Then head over to the von Arx Wildlife Hospital for a peek at some of our patients and tips on wildlife care. Continue your excursion to the Smith Preserve, home to protected gopher tortoises. Finally, enjoy a narrated electric boat cruise on the Gordon River—perhaps you’ll spot a manatee or two!
Up to three classes can be scheduled per day; but hands on activities are not guaranteed for groups of three classes.
Guided Nature Center Experience (Adapted for Grades K-12)
Guided Nature Center Experiences include a visit to the Dalton Discovery Center, the narrated electric boat cruise, a visit to the Wildlife Hospital, a picnic lunch on your own and you also get to add one of the following options:
- Squid Dissection Program at STEM Institute Ferguson Learning Labs (Grades 4+)
- Reptile program with live reptiles
- Outdoor program, including preserve walk
Programs are individualized to provide age-appropriate activities and meet Florida Next Generation Sunshine State Standards
Aquatic Ecosystems (Adapted to Grades 4-12)
Get ready for a wet and wild adventure! Become a scientist; explore our filter marsh and learn how it works as a living machine. You will measure water quality using electronic scientific probe-ware and collect native and exotic species in this unique ecosystem before returning to the STEM lab to study them. This immersive program is a great way to learn about the science behind our aquatic and marine ecosystems.
Be a Biologist (Grades 4-12)
Become an endangered species scientist at our 21 acre Nature Center and Labs. Use telemetry technology to track panthers in our hardwood hammock habitat and explore a gopher tortoise preserve. Collect samples to study at our STEM Institute Laboratory in this hands-on research experience and learn what can be done to protect endangered species.
Field Trip Fees - Up to three classes can attend on 1 day
- $99 per class (up to 20 people including chaperones)
- Special School field trip price for up to 20 guests: $79 when booked with an outreach program
We are looking forward to seeing you and sharing Southwest Florida’s environment with your group!
Your field trip experience may be changed or canceled due to inclement weather, high winds or low tides.
Field Trip at the Conservancy Nature Center: Special Instructions
- Field trips take place between 10am to 1pm
- Please provide each student with a name tag
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes before your tour is scheduled to begin
- A lunch break at our outdoor picnic area is included within the three-hour rotation schedule- please bring lunches
- Your group visit includes a tour led by trained naturalists; and a narrated electric boat ride
- Upon arrival, a naturalist will meet your group in the welcome gazebo
- Provide naturalist with completed boat release forms for all individuals participating in boat tours
- For student groups, one chaperone per 10 students is required on the trip
- Please make sure your chaperones are prepared to:
- Assist the docent by managing participant behavior
- Ensure that children are listening and participating
- Keep children on task
- Stay with the group at all times as they move around the nature center
- Refrain from using cell phones or talking during the program
For further assistance, please contact CherylL@conservancy.org.
Click here for driving directions >>